Friday, August 8, 2008

Introductions

My son, Isaiah, was born almost a month ago and has been breastfeeding non-stop ever since. Yesterday while nursing at the Kelly Miller Circus, I thought it would be interesting to keep a journal about my experience with breastfeeding. I've breastfed two children before and nursed in all sorts of crazy places and had many different reactions. So this time around, I'd like to write it all down and document the experience.

So far, I've breastfed Isaiah in a few public places. I have a few nursing shirts but keep forgetting to actually wear them when I'm going out in public! We've nursed at the coffee shop last Friday while seeing a friend's performance. Last Saturday we were at the Highland Festival and did some in-the-sling nursing. I forgot to wear a nursing shirt for that day, so I had to nurse with my belly exposed. Not my favorite thing to do, but I'd never say no to a hungry baby! And then yesterday we breastfed while at the Circus. And again I forgot to wear a nursing shirt! Ugg!

Last night at the Circus I was thinking while nursing that our society doesn't make a lot of basic functions very easy for people. It's no wonder women get so uptight about public nursing. There were perfect chairs in the "private seat" section but I couldn't use one even though it would have made breastfeeding so much easier. I have to think back before formula that women would have been provided with a chair at least. I don't really require privacy, I'm proud to nurse my baby anytime, but I also don't need the world staring at me. A chair pulled back behind the bleachers would have been a perfect place to nurse- I could have still watched the Circus and had a happy baby.

1 comment:

Andre said...

I'm glad you're finally blogging again... welcome back.