Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Do you know what happens when you start to feed a baby solid food?

Ah, yes... they poop more. And their poop suddenly gets stinky.

Isaiah is most certainly into food and there is no turning back. He was yelling at Andre yesterday when Andre was not sharing his ice cream (it was a bowl and a spoon, looks like food to Isaiah!). He loves dinner time and wolfs down more food than I've ever fed a 5 month old baby.

So, he's pooping like a champ now. It hit me yesterday as I heard him poop and poop and poop. Ohhhh, right, I remember this! (I have these moments a lot- 7 years is a long time to go in between kidlets). With the other two, they were in disposables at this age and it was such a mess! I remember especially with Solstice when we heard her starting, we'd quickly strip off all her clothes because the poo never stayed in the diaper.

It makes me so glad that we are using cloth right from the start with Isaiah and that I figured out the best diapering method. When he was first born, I used the really fancy "pocket" style diapers. They are great and easy, don't get me wrong- but they just were not right for his body shape and they take so long in the dryer. So I switched to the old fashioned style- rectangle shaped flat diapers with a snappi (I love this thing! but will switch to pins when this one breaks. It was a gift and a great invention but not something I'd buy myself) and Gerber vinyl plastic pants. This is the system my parents used and it still works great today. The plastic pants hold everything in- Isaiah has on a few occasions slept from 8pm to 8am (he nursed of course, but never really woke up) and those pants held every drop in! Thats really amazing. The only time they leak is if I didn't get all the cloth tucked into the pants. Also, using this style means less time in the wash and the dryer. And thats a great thing for me, our budget, and the environment.

Not exactly world shaking news, but its a big part of my life right now!

No comments: