Saturday, December 20, 2008

I hope to never forget...

You start like a little beast,
grunting, snorting, searching for your milk.
Impatient, acting half starved,
like a little piglet sniffing the ground.
When you latch the milk isn't instant
and so you throw your arms around,
kick you legs, turn your head side to side.
You pop off the nipple, then back on, off and on until
I hear you start to gulp.
One more kick, but not as hard.
You pull off from the breast one more time and
look up at me and smile.
Then back to work.
Gulping, one hand on each side,
kneading and massaging so the milk comes faster.
You lay limp in my lap, happily nursing.
Your eyes get a little sleepy and I
watch as they roll back in your head.
The gulping slows and your latch slips,
letting a trail of milk run down your chin.
You feel the sleep coming and try to fight it-
legs kick, arms out and with eyes closed now
your head turns side to side.
One last latch on, just to make sure its still there
and rest overcomes you.
If I stay very still, this is when I get to watch
the moment when eating becomes sleeping.

2 comments:

Happy Housewife said...

Did you write that? It's brilliant and conveys exactly the whole process. Nicely done! You should feel good about this and think about contributing it somewhere.

Stephanie said...

aww shucks. Thanks.
I had just finished nursing Isaiah and watching him as he fell asleep and thought about how easy it is to forget those quiet moments once they're grown.