Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope

I stopped the whirlwind of my day to watch the inauguration of President B. Obama today. I sat, with baby on breast, with a pile of diapers at my feet waiting to be folded, with lentils simmering on the stove for dinner, with apples waiting to be turned to baby food, with the wash and dryer running, I stopped to breath a deep breath of hope.
I'm glad that this is the man that my children will have clear memories of as president. I hope he can be a shining example to them that one person can really make a difference, can really change the world.
And then I thought about myself and if I've really changed the world in anyway, in folding diapers and cooking lentils.
But each leader, each Obama, Clinton, Kennedy, each Washington, had a mother who cooked for them and kept them well, who taught them about love, and hope and what is right and what is wrong. I hope I can mother in the shadow of those women who taught their children so well.
God bless America.

1 comment:

Happy Housewife said...

Nicely put! :-)
Let's hope that this is the begining of a bright shining period in history...just in time for our kids.